Do you want to try journaling to destress, relax, and do something kind for yourself? Not sure where to begin? Self-care journal prompts are a great starting point to begin writing!
These 100 journaling ideas for self-care, self-love, and self-awareness will get you journaling in no time. Free PDF printable included at the end of this article (no email required!)
**This post contains affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you for products you purchase via this website. For more information click here.**
Journaling is a fun and relaxing activity for self-care. Writing is not only a great way to deal with stress, life confusion, and other problems but is also a fabulous inspiration tool. You have so much beautiful creativity inside you!
How to create a self-care journal
All you really need to start a self-care journal is a notebook, pen, and some ideas to explore.
If you’re feeling crafty, you may want to decorate your journal with ribbon or colorful tape. You can use different colored pens if you choose, or just keep it simple altogether.
Know that your journal is a safe place to express your dreams, goals, and innermost feelings. You don’t need to write neat or within the lines in your journal. You don’t even need to write full sentences! There is no right or wrong way to journal, so don’t be afraid if your journal looks a bit messy. I find it impossible to write neatly in mine!
Find a comfy spot, grab a cup of tea, and let’s begin!
You can download the self-care journal prompts at the bottom of this post.
100 Self-Care Journal Prompts
- What is your favorite book of all time and why?
- Write down your top 5 favorite inspirational quotes.
- Describe your perfect morning.
- Imagine you’re on a relaxing walk on a perfect warm day and describe every detail.
- Journal 10 beauty self-care ideas to try.
- List 10 new books to read.
- Write down your top 10 travel destinations.
- Describe your perfect beach day.
- If you could act in any movie, what character would you like to play and why?
- Describe the qualities you love best about yourself.
- Write what you love most about your closest friend or family member.
- Describe the perfect smorgasbord.
- Write a list of your top 10 most exciting moments in your life.
- Brainstorm 10 new exciting ideas you might want to try- this could be as simple as a new hairstyle or as daring as skydiving!
- List 10 things you love about your body.
- Write about the 5 most beautiful moments you’ve ever witnessed.
- List 25 things you’re grateful to know.
- What are you most proud of?
- What are your secret talents, joys, or interests?
- Write out 5 positive affirmations for self-love.
- Brainstorm and write 5 ways you could learn more about yourself.
- What are your top 5 favorite songs that always make you feel better?
- What are your favorite color combinations?
- Journal 10 ideas for healthy recipes.
- What are some ways you could break out of your comfort zone that sound exciting?
- List 10 bodies of water from around the world you’d like to swim.
- Write 10 words of wisdom to give your younger self.
- Describe your perfect self-care day.
- Write 10 ideas to increase your self-love.
- List your top 20 favorite positive words- ie love, happiness, creativity.
- Journal 5 new art projects to try.
- List 5 book ideas for if you ever wrote a book.
- If you could have any magical power, what would it be and why?
- Journal your thoughts about the universe and what God means to you.
- What are your favorite animals?
- List 11 interesting ideas you’ve heard of that make you think deeply.
- Describe your ideal out-of-the-US vacation.
- Write about 5 ways you can spread kindness and love.
- Write 10 positive things going on in the world right now.
- List 15 inspiring people.
- What good advice would your future self give you?
- Describe some valuable lessons you’ve learned in life.
- Write 5 spa ideas for self-care.
- List 10 things you’d like to share with the world.
- What are your favorite flowers and what memories do they bring?
- Describe the perfect ocean-side stroll.
- Describe a fun day at the park.
- What is your perfect night routine?
- Make a meal plan for two nights of lovely food. (Just dinner, maybe dessert.)
- Describe your ideal dessert spread.
- What are your favorite retro fashion trends?
- List your top favorite movies from your childhood.
- What do you think about the concept of infinity?
- Describe your ideal camping trip.
- What food are you serving at your ideal BBQ?
- List 10 famous people, alive or dead, that you’d like them to share their secrets with you.
- Write about your goals for the next 6 months.
- If you were to design a treehouse, how would it look?
- What were your favorite childhood sports or games?
- Where would you like to live?
- What new friends or relationships would you like to have now or in the future?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert? How do you know?
- What makes you feel most loved?
- What do you know to be true about love?
- List 10 relaxing self-care ideas for a quiet weekend.
- If you could be any animal for a day, what animal would you be and why?
- Who do you think you were in a past life?
- What are you passionate about?
- What do you want to achieve in your career or work life?
- List 5 ways you can bring more happiness to your daily routine.
- Describe some health upgrades you can make to take better care of yourself.
- What would your spirit guides or angels like you to know?
- Who or what has shaped your belief system the most?
- Describe a mystical, magical landscape you’d like to visit.
- What “wow’s you” the most about life?
- Write 11 things you love most about life.
- What are your favorite time periods from history?
- List 5 current trends and how you feel about them.
- What wild and crazy stuff would you like to try in your life that others may not understand or approve of?
- Describe your ideal city vacation.
- What are your goals for this week?
- Write down 10 nice words to say or share with others this week.
- List a few ways you could improve your daily routine.
- What brings you the most joy in life?
- Describe the most valuable things you’ve learned about yourself.
- Journal where you see yourself in 2 years.
- Write about the most fun activities you’ve ever tried.
- What are your top 10 favorite things to do outside?
- Make 10 predictions about the future.
- If you could do anything at all you wanted to tomorrow, what would it be?
- List some ideas for a home business.
- How have your challenges in life helped you with self-discovery?
- List 10 affirmations for peace, calm, and tranquility.
- What does wisdom look like to you?
- Describe your ideal self at 90 years old.
- What do you plan on kicking butt at in life?
- Where are your favorite places to relax?
- Journal your thoughts around manifesting and the law of attraction.
- List 10 relaxing activities for de-stressing.
- Describe your ideal date night.
More self-care journal ideas
Along with using these writing prompts, there are many ways to be creative when journaling for self care. Consider the following journaling ideas:
- Start an art journal
- Start a daily journal to record your life.
- Make a travel journal about where you’ve been and where you want to go.
- Create a vision board and add your writing to it.
- Create a self-growth plan
- Gather a bunch of scraps of paper, fabric, and random small things and make a junk journal.
Printable self-care journal prompts
Download these journal prompts using the link below. Then print out and write whenever you like.
Enjoy! Feel free to share.
Feel better the more you write
Journaling is a great way to take care of yourself and your mental health, though it can be emotionally triggering at times. It takes inner strength to work through your emotions by journaling, so give yourself props for doing so!
I hope these self-care journal prompts have helped you get to know yourself better, explore your dreams, and left you feeling inspired. Feel free to share the PDF printable with anyone who may enjoy it.
If you love inspirational material such as writing worksheets, positive quotes, and free art printables (PDF printable art) please feel free to subscribe to the newsletter.
You’ll also find links to the latest blog posts within the newsletter on topics ranging from wellness to business, (and plenty of journal prompts!)
Please let me know what you think in the comments!!
You may also enjoy: