My oldest, (6 years) is constantly coloring, painting, cutting and tape-ing stuff together. She goes through tape like craaazy. My littlest is just learning how to make a mark with a crayon and fling paint around. I try to make sure we always have what we need to work on projects together.
In this post, I’ll share a few of my favorite art supplies for kids, including some kid art supply “essentials.”
Also included are 10 art prompts/assignments to keep your kids busy using their imagination and creativity. The art prompts are something that my older daughter really has fun with. The minute I hear “I’m bored” I throw an idea her way. Art prompts/assignments are also perfect playdate activities.
**This post contains affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you for products you purchase via this website. For more information click here.**
There are so many awesome art supplies for kids today that weren’t available when we were young. And the crayon selection is insane!
I enjoy these art supplies as much as my kids do!
Making art is great for exploring creativity, learning fine motor skills, and gaining confidence. So let’s all make more art! Yey for art!
The Best Art Supplies For Kids:
Kings Tempura art sticks are amazing, one of the best art supplies for kids ever. They feel like painting with a creamy tube of lipstick. The tactile experience is so satisfying.
These are by far one of the best new art products I’ve tried.
Ever tried making a Gelli print? Easy and fun for kids, this is the art toy you didn’t know you needed. The Gelli plate is for creating what are known as monoprints.
Check out this short youtube video for inspiration.
Upcycled Art Materials:
- Cereal boxes
- Egg cartons
- Large cardboard boxes
- Tin Foil
- Plastic wrap
- Bubble wrap
- Toy packaging
- Beauty packaging
- Paper towel rolls
- Rubber bands
- Old clothing/fabric
- Magazines and newspapers
- Old books and postcards
- Natural materials such as leaves and rocks
10 Art Prompts For Kids:
1. Ask your child to draw their favorite fun day with you.
2. Draw an under-the-sea scene.
3. Paint a picture of a candy store. (We were inspired by a recent trip to New York City and a visit to Dylan’s Candy Bar. Have you been? My oldest absolutely LOVED IT!)
4. Make a word collage. Cut out words from magazines, arrange them to say whatever you like, then glue down. Have your child add embellishments like glitter puff paint if they wish.
5. Grab some recycling material like cereal boxes and create a city! Cut, paste, and paint a scene together.
6. Draw dinosaurs! For some strange ones you may not have heard of, check out this article about weird dinosaurs!
7. Ask your kid to draw their school.
8. Paint a fairy world. Try using watercolors!
9. Create a themed diorama– Take an upcycled cardboard box and decorate/paint in any way you want! Theme ideas: Dollhouse, magic box, outdoors scene, fairy house.
10. Splatter paint (outside project)- Lay down an old sheet on the ground and let your child drip paint all over. It works best if you squirt different colors into different jars and add a little water.
Best Art Supplies for Kids Conclusion:
As I’m working on this article, my oldest has just finished cutting all the hair off one of her Barbies. Now she is re-designing (cutting up and tape-ing,) one of Barbies dresses. It has become a top plus a “one-legged boot.” LOL! She is never bored when she uses her imagination!
It’s nice that encouraging art doesn’t have to be hard and maybe you can get a coffee break while they’re at it. All kids need are a few supplies, some upcycled materials, and a bit of inspiration.
I hope you enjoyed reading these art prompts and discovering these awesome, and in my personal opinion, best art supplies for kids! Let me know what you think in the comments.
You may also like:
- 10 Gorgeous and Feminine Luxury Journals.
- 5 Ways to Unblock Your Mind and Shake Up Your Energy.
- 11 Creative and Fun Writing Prompts for Writers and People Who Need a Break.
- How to Write Your First Blog Post in 9 Steps- Including a Snack Break!
Spark creativity and imagination with the best art supplies for kids, plus art prompts!