We all get lost sometimes. But reading quotes about finding yourself can go a long way to help lift your spirits.
In this post, discover 35 positive finding yourself quotes to help you discover the true you and live authentically.
These words of wisdom will remind you that it’s perfectly normal to get off track and feel lost, but that returning to your true self is inevitable. By your true self, I mean your best self. Your real authentic self. Your divine and perfect-just-the-way-you-are self.
Please enjoy these 35 uplifting quotes about finding yourself, along with some brief thoughts on how to know yourself and how to live authentically. I hope these words will inspire you to connect with your true self so you can live life to the fullest!
**This post contains affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you for products you purchase via this website. For more information click here.**
How to discover your true self
The best way to find yourself, your true authentic self, is to follow your heart the best you can. Keep trying new things until you find what feels right. Be open to all of the experiences of life.
You may have to push out of your comfort zone, or you may have to hold back and say “No.” It just depends. But over time you will discover what you really love, and what matters most to you. With all of your life experiences, you have the opportunity to gain much wisdom about your true self and what makes you happy.
Notice what makes your heart soar, and also what does the opposite. Try to fill your life with as much joy as possible.
Activities such as meditation and journal writing and wonderful for self-discovery. As is art, music, funny jokes, nature, books, and more. We will talk more about ways to get to know yourself better in just a moment.
First, let’s get to the best finding yourself quotes to inspire you!
Best quotes on finding yourself:
1. Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom. -Aristotle.
2. The only journey is the journey within. –Rainer Maria Rilke.
3. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. -George Bernard Shaw.
4. Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. -Lao Tzu.
5. The first step in getting what you what is getting rid of what you don’t want. -DDJ.
6. It takes courage…to endure the sharp pains of self-discovery rather than choose to take the dull pain of unconsciousness that would last the rest of our lives. -Marianne Williamson.
7. Find yourself and express yourself in your own particular way. Express your love openly. Life is nothing but a dream, and if you create your life with love, your dream becomes a masterpiece of art. -Miguel Ruiz.
8. Cherish what’s in your heart. Listen to your intuition. Find your authentic self in your happiest dreams. -DDJ.
9. Finding yourself is a process of eliminating all that you are not. -DDJ.
10. To find yourself, think for yourself. -Socrates.
11. The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. -Mahatma Gandhi.
12. To become conscious and aware, we must become authentic. Authenticity is the highest form of being. -Teal Swan.
13. Don’t go looking too hard to find yourself; just be yourself and do what you love. -DDJ.
14. I wasn’t searching for something or someone…. I was searching for me. -Carrie Bradshaw.
15. Life is a school where you learn how to remember what your soul already knows. -Anonymous.
16. A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it. – Jean de La Fontaine.
17. Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. -Henry David Thoreau.
18. Find yourself in nature- in every cloud, tree, and animal. Find your oneness with All That Is. -DDJ.
19. Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. -Lao-Tzu.
20. If you feel lost, meditate on your future self. She knows the way. -DDJ.
21. Let me fall if I must fall. The one I will become will catch me. -The Baal Shem Tov.
22. I knew who I was this morning, but I’ve changed a few times since then -Alice in Wonderland.
23. Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -Theodore Roosevelt.
24. Find yourself in the love you feel for all that makes you happy. -DDJ.
25. To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself. -Thich Nhat Hanh.
26. Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go do that. Because what the world needs are people who have come alive. – Harold Whitman.
27. When you feel lost, say a prayer, and call your soul back home. -DDJ.
28. People need to know themselves to love themselves, and they need to love themselves to love others -Joel Mark Witt & Antonia Dodge.
29. Perfection is not necessary to make a real and lasting difference to other people’s lives. – J.K. Rowling.
30. Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.
31. You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need. -Jerry Gillies.
32. When you know yourself you are empowered. When you accept yourself you are invincible. -Tina Lifford.
33. It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. – E.E. Cummings.
34. If you feel lost, forgive yourself. It’s Ok to not know who you are or what you want. Surrender to the unknown and bravely forge ahead. -DDJ.
35. If you don’t ever get lost, you may never be found. -Unknown.
Finding yourself by getting to know yourself
To find yourself, get to know yourself first.
Getting to know yourself is often about trying new things and seeing how it pans out. For example, speaking up when you would normally remain quiet, going out of your way to talk to someone new, or trying a new hobby. Finding yourself often takes action.
Meditation, journal writing, making art, listening to music, and researching topics that interest you can also help you find your authentic self.
Reading is another great way to find yourself. Quotes are great, but there are so many incredibly wise authors as well. Books can change your life. One of my favorite authors is Dr. Wayne Dyer, (RIP.)
What does it mean to live authentically?
To live authentically means to follow a path that feels good to you. To be with people you want to be with, do work that feels right for you, and enjoy your time on earth the best you can. By doing what feels right in your heart, rather than following the crowd, you are living authentically.
That being said, your wants & needs may shift over time. Over weeks, months, or years. Or even quickly- in an instant! What felt right to you one day may start to feel “off” the next. So it’s helpful to have a mindset that is flexible. Your authentic self can and will go through phases and changes.
Know that it’s not selfish to follow your heart. Of course, there are times to put other people first, but when it comes to the big stuff, you have to be your own advocate in life. And that means doing what feels right to you. We all have our own journeys in life.
6 Tips for being your authentic self
- To be your authentic self, start with self-acceptance. Forgive your mistakes and stop fretting over your flaws. No one is perfect. Find a way to accept yourself for who you are.
- Reading quotes about being your authentic self is one way to inspire this shift in thought. But you may also find it helpful to journal, meditate, or talk to trusted friends.
- Next, be honest with yourself about what you want in life. It’s ok whatever it is, so long as you’re not hurting anyone.
- Act and live with integrity. Do what you want to do, and don’t be afraid to be different. Everyone has their own life path, and it is ok if yours is unusual.
- Accept what the Universe has given to you and make the most of it while continuing to allow yourself to grow and develop as you need.
- Additionally, know that becoming your authentic self can take time, and will happen naturally as you mature.
Loving your true authentic self
Love who you are by knowing that you are here for a reason. In this time period on earth, right now. You may not know why you are here. But God (or Spirit or The Universe) put you here. You matter greatly.
Your true self is a part of all-that-is. You literally are the universe. If you struggle with loving yourself, try for acceptance first. Try for curiosity about your existence and look for opportunities for joy.
You deserve to be happy, even if you’ve made mistakes. You do not have to be perfect so accept your imperfections. Look around- no one else is perfect either. But we all deserve happiness, even if we live in a world where everything feels like it’s falling apart. Trust in God/the Universe and love yourself more to combat negative energy.
Finding yourself is a journey
Finding yourself is a topic that truly fascinates me. I feel like I’ve been 100 different people in my lifetime. I’ve taken the longest, bumpiest winding roads to inner wisdom. And I never stop learning.
Finding yourself and becoming your authentic self is a journey. We are all constantly changing and learning. It’s how we grow and evolve. That’s why an open mind and flexible attitude is important. Plus the grace to accept mistakes, forgive yourself, or change your mind.
The older you get, the more you see the value in certain life experiences. What you learn in life you are able to give and teach to others. And it is giving to others that inspires the deepest satisfaction.
More quotes to inspire your best life:
Did you enjoy these finding yourself quotes?
What quote or quotes did you like the best? Are there any that inspire you to meditate or journal for higher wisdom?
I hope you know that your authentic self is pure light and love. That’s how we all came into this world spiritually. No matter the circumstances we were brought into.
I find that sometimes a few simple words can make a huge impact. Please let me know what you think about these finding yourself quotes in the comments!
You may also enjoy: