We all get lost sometimes. But reading positive quotes about finding yourself can go a long way to help lift your spirits.
In this post, discover 35 inspiring quotes to help you find yourself & live authentically.
These words of wisdom will remind you that it’s perfectly normal to get off track and feel lost, but that returning to your true self is inevitable. By your true self, I mean your best self. Your real self. Your divine and perfect-just-the-way-you-are self.
Please enjoy some brief thoughts on living authentically, along with 35 uplifting finding yourself quotes that I hope will inspire you to connect with your true self and live life to the fullest!
**This post contains affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you for products you purchase via this website. For more information click here.**
What does it mean to live authentically?
To live authentically means to follow a path that feels good to you. To be with people you want to be with, do work that feels right for you, and enjoy your time on earth the best you can.
That being said, your needs may shift over time. Over weeks, months, or years. Or even quickly- in an instant! What felt right to you one day may start to feel off the next. So it’s helpful to have a mindset that is flexible.
It’s perfectly normal to question what you really want out of life. To change your mind or try something different. Often, going on on a limb can help you learn a lot about your true, authentic self.
Use your intuition to know whether to hang in there or make a change. Intuition? But what if I’m totally unsure? You may wonder. I know, I know- it’s not always easy to do. Will you make mistakes? Will your intuition sometimes feel clouded? Yes, but that’s Ok. Keep trying your best. Keep on following your heart, while using your head.
How to discover your true self
The best way to find yourself, your true authentic self, is to follow your heart the best you can. Keep trying new things until you find what feels right. Be open to all of the experiences of life.
You may have to push out of your comfort zone, or you may have to hold back and say “No.” It just depends. But over time you will discover what you really love, what matters most to you. With all of your life experiences, you have the opportunity to gain much wisdom about your true self and what makes you happy.
Notice what makes your heart soar, and also what does the opposite. Try to fill your life with as much joy as possible.
I find that nothing helps me gain clarity as much as journal writing. But I also find my true self in art, music, funny jokes, nature, and so much more.
Tips to be your best self
To be your best self, first forgive your mistakes. No one is perfect. Find a way to accept yourself for who you are.
Be honest and live with integrity. Be a good person, starting with how you treat yourself.
Spread kindness onto others. Be nice, give grace to people. Almost everyone is struggling in some way. It can be challenging dealing with difficult people, but always be respectful and open-minded. Have empathy, but have strong boundaries, too. Do not let people treat you poorly. (Or, as my best friend’s father would say when we were kids “Don’t give me any guff!”
Loving your true authentic self
Love who you are by knowing that you are here for a reason. In this time period on earth, right now. You may not know why you are here. But God (or Spirit or The Universe) put you here, and you don’t need any more reason to love yourself than that. Your true self is a part of all-that-is. You literally are the universe. If you struggle with loving yourself, try for acceptance first.
You deserve to be happy, even if you’ve made mistakes. You do not have to be perfect so accept your flaws. Look around- no one else is perfect either. But we all deserve happiness, even if we live in a world where everything feels like it’s falling apart. Trust in God/the Universe and love yourself more to combat negative thoughts.
Alright, let’s get to the best finding yourself quotes to inspire you!
Best quotes on finding yourself:
1. Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom. -Aristotle.
2. The only journey is the journey within. –Rainer Maria Rilke.
3. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. -George Bernard Shaw.
4. Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. -Lao Tzu.
5. The first step in getting what you what is getting rid of what you don’t want. -DDJ.
6. It takes courage…to endure the sharp pains of self-discovery rather than choose to take the dull pain of unconsciousness that would last the rest of our lives. -Marianne Williamson.
7. Find yourself and express yourself in your own particular way. Express your love openly. Life is nothing but a dream, and if you create your life with love, your dream becomes a masterpiece of art. -Miguel Ruiz.
8. Cherish what’s in your heart. Listen to your intuition. Find your authentic self in your happiest dreams. -DDJ.
9. Finding yourself is a process of eliminating all that you are not. -DDJ.
10. To find yourself, think for yourself. -Socrates.
11. The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. -Mahatma Gandhi.
12. To become conscious and aware, we must become authentic. Authenticity is the highest form of being. -Teal Swan.
13. Don’t go looking too hard to find yourself; just be yourself and do what you love. -DDJ.
14. I wasn’t searching for something or someone…. I was searching for me. -Carrie Bradshaw.
15. Life is a school where you learn how to remember what your soul already knows. -Anonymous.
16. A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it. – Jean de La Fontaine.
17. Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. -Henry David Thoreau.
18. Find yourself in nature- in every cloud, tree, and animal. Find your oneness with All That Is. -DDJ.
19. Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. -Lao-Tzu.
20. If you feel lost, meditate on your future self. She knows the way. -DDJ.
21. Let me fall if I must fall. The one I will become will catch me. -The Baal Shem Tov.
22. I knew who I was this morning, but I’ve changed a few times since then -Alice in Wonderland.
23. Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -Theodore Roosevelt.
24. Find yourself in the love you feel for all that makes you happy. -DDJ.
25. To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself. -Thich Nhat Hanh.
26. Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go do that. Because what the world needs are people who have come alive. – Harold Whitman.
27. When you feel lost, say a prayer, and call your soul back home. -DDJ.
28. People need to know themselves to love themselves, and they need to love themselves to love others -Joel Mark Witt & Antonia Dodge.
29. Perfection is not necessary to make a real and lasting difference to other people’s lives. – J.K. Rowling.
30. Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.
31. You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need. -Jerry Gillies.
32. When you know yourself you are empowered. When you accept yourself you are invincible. -Tina Lifford.
33. It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. – E.E. Cummings.
34. If you feel lost, forgive yourself. It’s Ok to not know who you are or what you want. Surrender to the unknown and bravely forge ahead. -DDJ.
35. If you don’t ever get lost, you may never be found. -Unknown.
More ideas about finding yourself:
Finding yourself is a topic that truly fascinates me. I feel like I’ve been 100 different people in my lifetime. I’ve taken the longest, bumpiest winding roads to inner wisdom. But I never stop learning.
Maybe that’s why I love quote #22 the best- “I knew who I was this morning, but I’ve changed a few times since then” -From Alice in Wonderland. I’m constantly changing- we all are. It’s how we grow and evolve. That’s why an open mind and flexible attitude is important. Plus the grace to accept mistakes, forgive yourself, or change your mind.
If you are on a quest to discover your best self and live joyfully you may also enjoy these articles:
More quotes to inspire your best life:
Did you enjoy these finding yourself quotes?
What quote or quotes did you like the best? Are there any that inspire you to meditate or journal for higher wisdom? I find that sometimes a few simple words can make a huge impact. Please let me know what you think about these finding yourself quotes in the comments!
Recommended Reading for Finding Yourself and Living Authentically: