If you are new to using crystals, then you will enjoy this comprehensive guide for beginners about how to use crystals in your daily life.
When you first start feeling drawn to crystals, you may have questions. Such as What are the best crystals to use in my car? How do I know which crystal to use for meditation? What crystal do I need?
Being new to crystals is exciting. Crystals are a fun collector’s item with a magical twist. Crystals hold energy and vibration. They are powerful as well as beautiful. Every crystal is like a snowflake- sparkly and unique.
There are so many interesting uses for crystals. So let’s talk more about what crystals you need, how to select the right crystal, and all the ways you can use crystals in everyday life!
*This post contains affiliate links, meaning I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you for products you purchase via this website. For more information click here.* This site is for entertainment and informational purposes only and contains no medical advice. More information can be found here.
Tips for using crystals as a beginner
Here are a few quick but important tips to use as a crystal beginner. We will elaborate on each of these points in just a moment.
- Make sure to choose the right crystal for your needs. Choose based on intuition and a bit of research.
- Cleanse your crystal when you first acquire it.
- Charge and program your crystal with your intention.
Best crystals for beginners to use
Wondering which crystal you need? Here is a list of the 10 best crystals for beginners, along with some suggested uses. These “must-have” crystals can be used in many different ways.
- Clear quartz– For clarity of thought, manifestation, wellness, and inspiration. This stone is the #1 must-have.
- Rose quartz- For love of all kinds, inner healing, shadow work, and manifesting love.
- Citrine- For energy, motivation, and happiness.
- Amethyst- For creativity, calming, friendship, and spirituality.
- Black Tourmaline- For grounding, protection, and absorbing negative energy.
- Flourite- A good crystal to increase positive energy, strengthen intuition, and improve wellness.
- Lapis Lazuli- For confidence, wisdom, and spirituality.
There are so many other wonderful crystals in addition to the crystals listed here. Additionally, these crystals are not limited to the suggested uses. The ideas here are just starting points!
How to choose the right crystal
The best way to choose the right crystal for your needs is by using your intuition.
Try to sense the energy of the crystal and ask yourself some questions. For instance:
- How does the crystal make you feel?
- Do you get any special sensations or gut feelings about it?
- Do you like how it looks? Feels in your hand? Reflects the light? Are you connecting with it in any way?
Always follow your instincts, even if you are new to using crystals. You have to trust yourself.
Although it’s completely up to you which crystal you chose for a particular purpose, certain crystals are best for certain uses. That’s why a little bit of research is often helpful. Consult multiple sources, and mill over the knowledge you find. Consider what you intend to use your crystal for. And then make your selection based on these factors.
Cleanse your crystals
When you first get ahold of a brand-new crystal, you’ll probably want to display or use it right away- but wait. You should take the time to cleanse your crystal first. This needn’t take more than a few seconds if you are in a hurry. And you don’t need any special tools unless you want to be a little extra about it.
A few quick ways you can cleanse most crystals include:
- Sound cleansing.
- Light cleansing.
- Cleansing with your intention.
- Cleansing by using other crystals. Selenite is the best for this job.
Be aware that each crystal is different, and some crystals have particular requirements for cleansing safely without damaging the crystal.
Program and charge your crystal
Next, program your crystal. To do this, first, charge it with your intention.
Start by telling your crystal what you want or need from it. Communicate what it will be used for. An example of a charging statement would be:
This crystal is to be used for manifesting love. Crystal, I need your help in aligning me with a loving relationship.
Some ways to charge your crystal with your intention include:
- By writing.
- Through silent prayer or meditation.
- Say your intention out loud.
- Or sing it.
Once your crystal is charged, you can make an additional statement to program it more precisely. An example of a programming statement would be:
I declare this crystal to increase my patience in dating.
You can also use the power of nature to help you set your intention if you so desire. This can be really fun and powerful.
Alright, let’s jump right into all the wonderful ways to use crystals in your daily life!
How to Use Crystals- 11 Ways
Anyone can use crystals for relaxation, energetic protection, wellness, and more. Here are 11 ways to use crystals in daily life.
1. Hold crystals during meditation
Crystals can enhance the benefits of your meditation or yoga practice. Hold them or place them nearby to destress and unwind. Certain crystals, such as black tourmaline, are also useful for absorbing negative energy from your chakras.
Some of my favorite crystals for meditation include:
- Clear quartz.
- Rose quartz.
- Black tourmaline.
- Lapis lazuli.
2. Place crystals on your body
Whether during rest or in the bath, simply placing crystals upon your body can increase relaxation and decrease feelings of stress.
Maybe it’s the self-care effort that feels good. Or the knowing you are working on your own wellness and taking action.
The science around crystal healing is undecided, but many swear by crystals for feeling more relaxed. That’s why many spa treatments involve crystals. So, why not try your own crystal spa treatment at home? Here’s an example of how to use crystals for a spa day:
- Place your crystal on any area you feel tension, such as the chest or forehead.
- Then simply close your eyes, allowing your intention to be present.
- You might say a prayer or allow yourself to drift into a restful state.
- If desired, include whatever spa elements you enjoy, from music to scented candles or incense.
You can also wear crystals on your body as jewelry as you enjoy your spa time.
3. Use crystals for manifesting
Many people believe you can use your crystal for manifesting your desires. I’ve had positive experiences with this myself, especially when it comes to clearing my energy to make way for something new.
How to manifest with crystals:
- First, program your crystal. Make a statement about it being used for your highest good in any situation.
- Feel your connection to your crystal, and have a moment of gratitude.
- Then proceed with any additional ritual, prayers, or meditation that you like. You may even want to create a crystal grid. (More on this crystal use idea momentarily.)
4. Carry a crystal in your pocket
Whether you need energetic protection, grounding, or any kind of metaphysical help, it’s helpful to carry a crystal in your pocket. That way you can hold it or feel it whenever you desire.
Chose your pocket depending on your intention. For example, choose a shirt pocket near your heart chakra for manifesting love or healing relationship pain. Or, try carrying a crystal in your back pocket for healing the root chakra.
Of course, also choose your crystal based on what you are trying to achieve and where you are carrying it.
5. Keep crystals at work
Two of the best ideas to use crystals at work are to place them on your desk or in a common area such as the break room.
Crystals help create an energetically positive environment and increase productivity. Display them right near your workspace and enjoy the beauty and good energy they bring.
Good crystals for work include:
- Citrine for success and motivation.
- Tigers’ eye for positive interactions.
- Green Aventurine for focus.
- Amethyst for getting along nicely with coworkers.
6. Keep crystals in your car
For good driving vibes, try keeping a few crystals in your car. You can even purchase crystal kits specifically for your car, like the one below.
It’s always good to program your crystal for safe travels and an enjoyable ride. Crystals may also make you feel less stressed while driving. Some of the best crystals for your car include:
- Black tourmaline for protection.
- Clear quartz for focus and mental clarity.
- Sunstone for alertness.
- Rose quartz for love and good vibes.
7. Create a crystal grid
Crystal grids are beautiful creations that are based on sacred geometry.
Crystal grids can be used for energy healing, rituals, or for directing energy for a specific purpose.
Learn more with this crystal grid book, or use your intuition to set up your crystal grid for your intended purpose. It’s fairly easy, you’ll see!
Even as a beginner, trust that you can create a powerful crystal grid. Your arrangement is no less magical being new to using crystals than if you were an old pro.
8. Decorate with crystals
Decorating with crystals is so fun and easy. You can place crystals anywhere- on dressers, shelves, windowsills, and table tops. There are many special crystal shelves you can purchase to hold larger collections as well. Check out this crystal display shelf as an example.
9. Sleep with crystals
For a calming night’s rest, many people swear by sleeping with crystals next to their bed. In addition to helping aid relaxation before bed, crystals are thought to help with everything from better dream recollection to increased powerful lucid dreaming.
Good crystals for sleep include:
- Smoky quartz.
10. Increase creativity with crystals
Creativity is one area where crystals may be very helpful.
To use crystals for creative enhancement, simply place crystals beside you when playing music, creating art, or writing. Or, create a crystal grid as we have discussed.
The energy of certain crystals can help your creativity flow, help you feel more inspired, help you manifest new creative ideas, and more.
Good crystals for boosting creativity include:
- Blue lace agate.
11. Enhance tools of divination
You can also use crystals for empowering your automatic writing along with any spiritual or psychic development practices you chose.
Crystals amplify the energy of other divination tools, from pendulums to tarot cards and more. Recommended crystals to use with divination tools include:
- Clear quartz.
- Lapis lazuli.
I hope you enjoyed this beginner’s guide about using crystals in daily life.
Crystals are incredibly fun, beautiful, and useful. No matter how long you’ve been using them, or not using them, there’s always more to learn. There’s always new information being discovered, and someone always has something new to share when you read up on tips and other crystal ideas.
It’s good to discuss and share crystal tips and knowledge, don’t you think? Feel free to share your thoughts below!
Let me know how you will be using your crystals. Which crystals are your favorite? Do you like these crystal tips? Please share in the comments, and have a lovely day!
Where to buy crystals
Check out Conscious Items! They sell gorgeous crystal lamps, (like the rose quartz lamp below) jewelry, and more! You can find many quality crystal gifts for yourself and your loved ones.
You may also enjoy: